Police Department FAQ’s

How do I contact the Police Department?

Dial 911…whether it is a police, fire, or medical emergency. Your 911 call is routed directly to the appropriate emergency personnel who will send help.
For non-emergency calls……507-637-4005.

Can I report information about a crime anonymously?

Yes, but anonymous information of criminal activity is of limited value to law enforcement if it cannot be independently corroborated by the officer.  Click on Report Information Anonymously below to learn more or anonymously report a crime or information about a crime you witnessed.

How do I get a copy of a police report?

Reports may be requested by completing the Information Disclosure Request below and turning it in to the Redwood Falls Police Department during regular business hours. For larger reports or case files a fee may be charged.

How do I report an ordinance violation?

To report an ordinance violation, complete the Initial Complaint of Code Enforcement Violation Form and bring it to the Police Department. You can also email the form to pd@ci.redwood-falls.mn.us.

What are the rules for parking during a snow emergency?

The term “emergency” means a condition created on city streets because of the presence of snow, freezing rain, sleet or ice, or other natural phenomenon which creates, or is likely to create, hazardous road conditions or impede or are likely to impede the free movement of fire, health, police, emergency or other vehicular traffic, when the same has been duly declared.

Whenever a snow emergency exists the City Administrator will make an announcement to local news media.  The emergency shall begin one hour after the announcement.  Once declared, the snow emergency shall remain in effect until all streets are completely plowed.

Once a snow emergency is declared, it is unlawful to park or leave standing any vehicle on city streets.  Parking on the street may resume when it has been fully and completely (curb-to-curb) cleared, sanded, salted or cleaned.

A snow emergency does NOT have to be declared for no parking on “snow emergency” routes.  In the event that two inches or more of snow falls, there is no parking on “snow emergency” routes until the street has been completely plowed from curb to curb.

How do I know if my drivers license is valid?

You can check your driver’s license status by going to the DVS website and entering your driver’s license number on the following website:

How do I get a copy of my driving record?

The Police Department cannot give you a copy of your driving record but you can request it through DVS at:

How do I get a copy of my criminal history?

A copy of your criminal history may be obtained by contacting the BCA at:

I was stopped and cited for Driving After Suspension or Revocation and the officer handed me an orange card.  What do I do?

Contact the number on the card or if you have lost the card follow the link for more information:

What should I do if I think I’m the victim of identity theft?

Identity theft happens when someone steals your personal information and uses it without your permission and that use causes you financial harm.  It is a serious crime that will require time and patience to resolve.  First, notify your bank.  They will have a procedure in place to deal with the financial damage and prevent further damage to your credit.  Second, notify law enforcement. They will have the resources to conduct follow-up investigation or determine if the information needs to be sent to another jurisdiction for follow-up.  For more information on identity theft visit the following web site:

I’m being harassed over a social networking web site.  What should I do?

Prosecution of harassment over a web site or application is difficult for a variety of reasons.  First, a prosecutor must prove the person that sent the harassing message was the same person who created the account.  In addition, there must be a criminal component in the harassing message.  For example; publicly posting an unfavorable or derogatory opinion about another person is not criminal.  A post that says they intend to assault or harm a person may be a threat and constitute a criminal act.  Most web sites have a procedure for reporting abusive or harassing conduct.  Contact the web site and report the conduct.  After you have done that, report the incident to law enforcement and an officer will determine whether your complaint constitutes criminal activity.

I received a phone call/email and the person asked for my personal information or I need to send them money.  What should I do?

Never give your personal information to someone you don’t know.  Never send money without verifying the recipient.  If you voluntarily send another person money for any reason it is no longer a criminal issue and your only recourse is to seek restitution through the civil court process.  If you provide your personal information to someone, you risk having your personal information used to obtain credit.  See the link entitled “What should I do if I’m the victim of identity theft” above.

What is the curfew in Redwood Falls?

It is unlawful for a minor person under the age of 16 to be or loiter upon the streets or public places between the hours of 10:00 p.m. and 6:00 a.m. It is unlawful for a minor person between the ages of 16 and 17 to be or loiter upon the streets or public places between the hours of 1:00 a.m. and 6:00 a.m. Such curfew shall not apply to any students under the age of 18, who are lawfully attending, going to or returning from school, church or community-sponsored athletic, musical or social activities or events, or employment.

How late are the Parks open?

Parks are closed 11:00 p.m. to 6:00 a.m.

What are the Animal Licensing Regulations?

Animal Control

Please call the Police Department at 507-637-4005 for animal control questions or concerns.

Who do I call to check on a lost dog?

Animal Shelter at 507-644-3853